Monday, July 1, 2019

It's Monday, What Are You Reading July 1, 2019


Please visit the amazing blogs: Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers who host this terrific meme each week.

Here are a few books I have been able to read over the last couple of weeks. Click on the covers to go to the book's page on Goodreads. 

The second in the series from Kayla Miller.  The story is all too relatable and timeless as Olive and Willow struggle with their friendship at summer camp when their personalities and expectations differ. Great for middle schoolers. 

Reading fantasy is a book gap for me. The Storm Keeper's Island was a nice way to fill it a bit. This is the first in the series. For 5th grade and up. 

This is the first in the super-cute graphic novel series, Monkey and Cake. First grade is the sweet spot for this one.  

Crabtree Publishing has a whole series of these fractured fair tales. If you are looking for books for second graders who are striving readers, want something entertaining, but not too young looking, this one does the trick. 

I really like Scholastic's Acorn imprint for young readers. There are currently 3 in this series. They are in full color and are written in  short chapters. Perfect for grades 1-2. 

Currently Reading

and 

What are you reading friends? 








7 comments:

  1. Oh I'm excited to hear your thoughts on Shouting at the Rain. We don't have a copy in my neck of the woods, yet, but I'm looking forward to this one! And I really hope to get to the Kayla Miller series this year. Have a wonderful reading week, Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gigi,
    Love seeing what you are reading! I am also loving the Acorn Series and cried my eyes out with Shouting in the Rain. I recently heard a perspective on Monkey and Cake. I have blogged about it in the past, but will no longer based on this point of view. I found it helpful, so I will share it with you: https://crazyquiltedi.blog/2018/04/26/on-negroes-monkeys-and-apes/?fbclid=IwAR3i0b7MVARah5SmR-MaLpreDsIBDMnki2hzRfE_b3JvtFx2Ua2YYc2-yJA I would love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have The Storm-Keepers Island on my list, and you've made me add it again just in case! Hope you enjoy Shouting At The Rain, a lovely story. The Unsung Hero of Birdsong is a new title to me, will look for it, too! Thanks, Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda Mullaly Hunt seems to be receiving a lot of love this week! Awesome! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantasy is my wheel house, so I'll look out for Storm Keeper's Island. Have a good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get on top of things. Click by Kayla Miller is on my to read list, but I still haven't gotten to it and now here's a sequel!
    I finished Shouting at the Rain last week. I think it will be one of my favourite books of the year. Lynda Mullaly Hunt sure can write!

    ReplyDelete