Wednesday, August 23, 2017

My First Book of Soccer by Sports Illustrated Kids

My Friend Alyson Beecher at Kid Lit Frenzy hosts weekly link up to share Nonfiction Picture Books. Please visit her amazing website.


My first Book of Soccer: A Rookie Book-Mostly Everything Explained About the Game
by Sports Illustrated Kids
Published May, 2017
48 Pages
Hardcove
Review copy provided by publisher

Goodreads Summary
The ref blows the whistle, the striker approaches for kickoff, feet fly-a soccer match is underway! With a fun mix of Sports Illustrated action photography, simple text, a full glossary of terms, and awesome graphics, My First Book of Soccer introduces readers to the world's favorite game. Kids (and probably a few adults, too) will learn how the clock counts "up" and never stops, what an offside means, what's up with those yellow cards, and how kicks become a gooooaaaallll!
Illustrated "rookie" characters appears on every page, guiding the reader moment by moment, and helping to make My First Book of Soccer an ideal shared reading experience between parents and their little rookies before, during, and after the game.


My Thoughts
It's that time of year again. The time where families pack up their kids and their camp chairs and meet at the soccer field. In my town just about EVERY kid plays recreational soccer starting from age 5. I remember my daughter's team just running around in circles or everyone trying to get the ball as the learned how to play this popular sport. This book could help young players learn the ins and outs of soccer. 

This is the 4th book in the Rookie Book series by Sports Illustrated Kids. Like the others, it provides a simple introduction to the terms, moves and rules of the sport. Each page is big and colorful with real photos of players and some cartoon images of a little boy and girl learning to play. Both male and female players, with different racial backgrounds, are represented. 




The sturdy pages will standup to rereadings and little hands. I would highly recommend My first Book of Soccer for budding soccer enthusiasts. 

See what others have to say about this book. 
Mom Read It
Little BIG Reads
Kid Lit Frenzy

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo illustrations in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soccer is massively popular in my area, too, so I'm sure this will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recommended the baseball one to Kristen for Kyle! I'm so glad you introduced them to me last year!

    ReplyDelete