Sunday, March 16, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?-March 17, 2014


Please visit the amazing blogs: Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers who host this terrific meme each week.


Again, two weeks have passed since my last #IMWAYR post. I have been super-busy at school with conferences and equally busy at home. Here is what I managed to read in the last two weeks. 

Picture Books-Fiction
by Candace Flemming
Illustrated by Boris Kulikov
Neat story where children watch their father try to build many inventions that don't seem to work. Finally with everyone's help, lots of trials and many errors, he builds a "submarine".

Picture Books-Nonfiction
by Doreen Rappaport
Illustrated by Matt Tavares
I love books about Helen Keller. This one is beautiful!

by Gloria Huston
Illustrated by Susan Condie Lamb
This true story of a librarian who wanted a real, brick library, but ended up traveling in her bookmobile is touching. A great book for any book lover. 

Poetry
by Caroline Kennedy
This poetry collection would be a nice addition to any library. It is filled with classic poems and is organized into several categories. There should be something for everyone in this lovely compilation. 

Early Chapter Books
by Harper Paris
Illustrated by Marco Calo
This series is new to me. Although not a lot happens, I think young kiddos will enjoy reading a real chapter book. It has lots if pictures and large print. Grades 2-3

by Troy Cummings
I really love this series for young or developing readers. I plan to review it further in a future post. Grades 2-4

Professional Book
I finished....
by Dave Burgess
There are so many tips offered in this book to energize your teaching. Highly recommend it!


Still Reading...
by Natalie Lloyd
Our lunchtime book club is enjoying this book very much!

What Are YOU Reading Friends?

7 comments:

  1. You added some new ones for me and some I've read and enjoyed. Just love Snicker of Magic. Can't stop talking about it! I love finding new books for 2nd and 3rd graders, I'm glad you mentioned that title! Have a great reading week, and welcome back, I missed your posts last week. Hope life has gone back to normal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all of the picture books you have featured here! I still need to read Papa's Mechanical Fish to my students. I have yet to bring it into school. I think I need to get my hands on Teach Like a Pirate - I have seen a lot of positive talk about it on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good books here today Gigi. I really like Miss Dorothy. She sounds like a woman after my own heart. I totally loved Snicker of Magic. I could write pages in my notebook of the lines I want to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gigi - So many terrific books! I really want to read Miss Dorothy and her Book Mobile

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to use Snicker for a club too. everyone seems to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still have to get my hands on Snicker! I've been reading so many glowing reviews. I love all of the picture books you feature this week. I've been meaning to bring the Helen Keller bio in to share with my Children's Lit students. Glad to see you back this week! I was away on a blissfully peaceful vacation last week and back home last night to an endless to-do list, including midterm grades--which I'm supposed to be working on right now instead of reading and commenting on #imwayr posts! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there Gigi, like Elisabeth, I have yet to get my hands on Snicker of Magic. Sounds like a divine read from what I can see from bookbloggers most everywhere. I just read Helen's Big World and brought it as part of my text-set on disabilities and picturebooks in my higher degree class - the artwork is just beautiful. I also love Miss Dorothy and her bookmobile and featured it when we had our books-about-books theme. Papa's Mechanical Fish also has a pretty great cover, will be on the lookout for that one.

    ReplyDelete