Saturday, August 10, 2013

10 for 10- Ten Picture books I Heart


A special thank you to Cathy Mere and Mandy Robek for hosting this fun picture book event.  To read more about the August Picture Book 10 for 10 click here.  Please visit Cathy's blog: Reflect & Refine: Building a Learning Community and Mandy's blog: Enjoy and Embrace Learning.

It was tough, but I have narrowed it down to ten picture books that I just LOVE!

Newbies
Up until a year ago, it had been a long time since I really had read any new picture books and I am so glad I started again.  Here are some books on my list that are new(ish) that my 4th graders LOVED!



1.  I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
I only became familiar with Jon Klassen's work over the last year and I think he is just brilliant.  This book is simple and hilarious.  The illustrations are just adorable. I also love This is Not My Hat and anything written or illustrated by Kalssen.  



 
2. Hello! Hello! by Matthew Cordell
This book poking fun at how "plugged in" people are today with their electronic devices.  The main character tries to get her family to pay attention to nature and ends up getting them to take a walk as a family.  I love this book because it is just a great reminder to stop and pay attention. 


3. Exclamation Mark by Amy Krouse Rosenthal 
Poor exclamation mark feels that he is less important than the more prominent punctuation marks.  In this book he learns that he is unique and important.  My class loved it! I also love her "cutlery" books: Spoon and Chopsticks.
 
4.  The Story of Fish and Snail by Deborah Freedman
This is one of my recent favorites.  Fish and Snail live in a book together.  Every day adventurous Fish leaves their book to go on adventures in other books.  Timid Snail is too scared to go with him.  Their friendship is tested when they have an argument. I reviewed this book a few weeks ago here.  I love it because it is about courage and trying new things.  The illustrations are unique and the animals appear to literally come off the page. 

5. One by Kathryn Otoshi
I read this to my class last January when we were trying to read a picture book a day.  It sends a powerful message about how sometimes it just takes one to make a big change. 
  
6. The Dot by Peter Reynolds
 This is just a great book to use to show and discuss creativity.  You can also participate in International Dot Day with your students.  Everyone can make their mark.


Tried and True
These books have been favorites of mine for years. 



7. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Seriously, who doesn't love this book?  I never get tired of reading it and I get teared up every time. 







8. The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
This book is absolutely one of my faves!  I love how Ferdinand is not afraid to be himself instead of trying to be like all the other bulls.

 
9. Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
This African Cinderella Tale is told and illustrated beautifully.  It is a favorite because kindness always wins. 


 
10. Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel This book has been a favorite since elementary school.  As I have shared many times, I was not a reader until my mid twenties.  However, this book was read to my class by our librarian and I loved it so much.  I make sure to read it to my class every year. 


So there are my 10 books.  What's on you list?

7 comments:

  1. Hey Gigi!

    I love your mix of older and newer titles. Tikki Tikki Tembo is one of my most favorite read alouds! I'm looking forward to sharing Dot on International Dot Day September 15th!

    Thanks for sharing your 10! So glad you joined the fun!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Story of Fish and Snail is one of my new favorites too! I enjoyed your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the second person today to recommend One- must be sign that I must get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would put all of these on my list, too! Excellent choices.

    Here's my list: Top Ten Edgy Picture Books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you have a tried and true section and wonderful books within it! Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters is a title I shared just this year again. Kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. I love Tikki Tikki Tembo!

    I think I'll have to check out The Story of Fish and Snail.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. great list of books. some I've read and some I keep hearing about. I've added a few to our list of books to check out. thanks for some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete