Monday, March 4, 2013

It's Monday What Are You Reading- March 4




Please visit the amazing blog: Teach Mentor Texts 
who host this terrific meme each week. 

Here is what I read this week. 
Click on the titles to go to the book on Goodreads.com.

Picture Books




Elsie's Bird by Jane Yolen
Really sweet book about a single father and his daughter that moved to Nebraska to become homesteaders.





Find a Cow Now by Janet Stevens
Cute story about a herding dog that 
needs to find a cows to herd, 
but doesn't know what a cow is. 

Spuds by Karen Hesse
Nice picture book about a family with a hard-working single mom and her 3 children.  The children try to help mom by picking potatoes at a field that doesn't belong to them.




by Matthea Harvey
Just silly and adorable!








by Devin Scillian
Very funny.  About a goldfish who gets many new tenants to his bowl, which becomes too crowded. I read this to my daughters 5th grade class and they really liked it.


Graphic Novel
Binky The Space Cat by Ashley Spires
My first Binky book.  Very simple writing with 
entertaining pictures.  Cat lovers would enjoy this book. 

Middle Grade Book
The 13-Story Treehouse by Andy Griffiths
A US adaptation of an Australian book. 
Extremely silly, quick to read. 
Click here for my Goodreads review.
 
Young Adult Novel
Far Far Away by Tom McNeal
Interesting YA novel.  
Click here to read my review on Goodreads. 
 
Finished Listening
by High Lofting

 Currently Reading
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
and
Hide and Seek by Kate Messner


What Are You Reading?

Check out my review of Genie Wishes by Elisabeth Dahl here.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the first Binky book. I feel the humor gets a bit old in the subsequent tales, but I think the first one is as funny a graphic novel as I've ever read. Just finished Splendors and Glooms this morning! Schlitz is such a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Splendors and Glooms is interesting so far. I am reading it with my 5th grader and she likes it, for now anyway.

      Delete
  2. I just requested Far, Far Away from NetGalley! I sounds really good and seems to be getting great reviews. Have a great reading week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1rb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memoirs of a Goldfish was a great book. It was actually written by a newscaster here in Detroit. One of my students showed it to me last year and I loved it.

    Find a Cow Now looks really cute.

    And Cecil the Pet Glacier? I'm still scratching my head over that one. I read it to my class and we were all just like, "This is the weirdest picture book in the history of picture books." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard great things about Hide and Seek, so I'll be looking for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Binky is very popular in my classroom! Kids love the titles consistently. So pleased to see Elsie's Bird here - I just loved that title. Such well done historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete