Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Student Review of Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larsen

Review by Grace 

Hattie Big Sky  
by Kirby Larsen

Published in 2006 by Delacourt Books for Young Readers

A Newbery Honor Book in 2007

304 pages
For ages 8 and up
 
 


Summary

Hattie Big Sky is about a sixteen-year-old girl named Hattie who has been shuttled from one relative to another for as long as she can remember.  Now she is living with her not-so-nice Aunt Ivy and Uncle Holt.  Then one night she gets a letter from her Uncle Chester (who she never knew existed and is now dead) asking her to leave her Aunt and Uncle and go live on his homestead in Vida, Montana. She accepts, wanting any way to get away from her Aunt and finally have a home to keep.

When she arrives in Vida, she is greeted by Perilee Mueller, her husband and their kids.  Hattie becomes quick friends with the Mueller family as they help her through hard times and confusing choices. One theme in this book is friendship   because Hattie makes good and helpful friends throughout the book. Another theme is bravery because Hattie works hard day and night to keep her claim.



My Opinion

I think Hattie Big Sky is a good book because it is written in great detail and tells you how hard it was to live during World War II. 


Here is a book trailer.
 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet so thank you for your thorough summary. I've heard so many great things about it from grown ups but its nice to hear from a student reader.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have read this book THOUSANDS of times and have NEVER gotten bored(got the book from my teacher as a gift when i was 9 and now am 14 :)).... its is one of the best books on my bookshelf!!!

      Delete
    2. i have read this book THOUSANDS of times and have NEVER gotten bored(got the book from my teacher as a gift when i was 9 and now am 14 :)).... its is one of the best books on my bookshelf!!!

      Delete
  2. Grace, I very much appreciate your positive review of this book. As a city girl myself, I cannot imagine how the real Hattie -- and all the many women homesteaders like her-- did all the hard things they did. I was so grateful to be able to write a story to honor those amazing women and that tough pioneer spirit.

    I hope Hattie Big Sky encourages you to read even more historical fiction!

    Best.

    Kirby Larson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG OMG!!!! UR KIBY LARSON!!! EEKKKK!!! I LUV UR BOOK!!! AND IM GETTING THE SEQUAL FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!

      Delete